We have been running a National Literacy Trust initiative in school called The Early Words Together Programme.
A lovely band of parents and carers have joined us on a weekly basis over a six week period to enjoy exploring stories, rhymes and creative activities with their children. It’s been wonderful getting to know them all and discovering their hidden talents – we can see where their children get them from!
Here’s what they’ve been up to!
- introductions – getting to know each other and the things we like
- making sock puppets
- The Great Ryecroft Bake Off – looking at recipes and related stories
- making cookies
- Exploring Traditional Tales and Fairy Stories
- Making our own storyboards and stick puppets to re-tell and make up our own versions of the popular classics
- Visiting the local library - joining the library and exploring the facilities there.
- Enjoying a library scavenger hunt to win a prize.
- Enjoying rhymes and number action songs
- Making our own number action glove puppets
- ‘Jump into the Picture!’ – Enjoying drama to bring alive a fun story using hand-made props!
- Celebrating our achievements by awarding certificates and making book presentations
- Reviewing the project.
If your child is currently in Foundation Stage 2 and you would like to take part in the next programme, please feel free to have a word with Mrs Sinclair – we’d love to see you!